Friday, May 2, 2008

To Iive or/and proclaim it

"[...they] do not believe in evangelistic strategies, other than the pursuit to be like Jesus in his interactions with others. They do not target people or have an agenda but rather seek to love all those whom God brings to them. They do not hope for a belief change for their conversation partners as much as a life change. Because of their high level of engagement with other cultures, the sacred/secular split is overcome as they practice the kingdom in their midst, in community."

Eddie Gibbs and Ryan Bolger cited in Scot McKnights, A community called atonement (Abingdon Press, 2007).

I wonder who "they" are? I wonder if "they" look like your/my church?
I wonder if "just living it out" is just an excuse for not proclaiming their faith, or if in fact their faith is so 'present' in their lives that it is open and lived as a natural part of their lives"
Challenging hey? How different is your lifestyle? Enough to make people think, wonder, ask questions, consider their own lives? Do you spend more time trying to 'make people evangelize their friends', or more time encouraging and discipling people in their passionate, subversive kingdom living?

2 comments:

The Creature said...

I think this is a real challenge for most evangelicals. We are so used to formulaic approaches and ulterior motives that it can seem like we are not realling being "true" to the gospel if we simply operate out of love.

I like to think that I/we are moving towards a place where we can operate out of love alone. But it is a challenge.

The Creature said...

Hey Scott - BTW, have you read this book?

Funny, I put this same quote up on my blog a while back.

It's a great read if you haven't. I used it as the basis of my Easter Sunday message.

:)

 
eXTReMe Tracker